Immigration Lawyer in Victoria and Vancouver BC

Immigration lawyerHART Legal is now practicing immigration law in Victoria and Vancouver BC. If you need to speak with an immigration lawyer, please contact our law firm in either Victoria or Vancouver by calling 1-844-695-2875. We also offer consults in Surrey, Richmond, and North Vancouver.

Although Canada accepts over 200,000 new immigrants each year, all need to meet the criteria that the government of Canada sets out. Since 9/11, immigration and travel freedoms have been greatly reduced. We are also seeing large changes in US immigration policies with the election of President Trump.

If you want to work, study, or live in Canada, it is best to hire an experienced immigration lawyer. We have a Vancouver immigration lawyer available who can speak both Farsi and English. We also offer immigration services in Mandarin.

Below are some common questions you may have about Canadian immigration law.

Question: How can I immigrate to Canada?

Canada considers immigration applications in four main categories or classes. The four categories are:

  • Family class
  • Skilled Worker Class
  • Business Class
  • Refugees

Family class is for immigrants who have family in Canada and plan to use them to sponsor their application.

Call our immigration law firm at 1-844-695-2875.

Question: What is a Canadian Permanent Resident?

Someone with PR has the authorization to enter and live in Canada as a resident, but has not yet become a Canadian citizen. It is important to note that some people choose to keep PR but not become Canadian citizens. This may be because they come from a country where they would have to give up their home country passport to become a Canadian citizen. China would be an example.

Once you have your PR you may apply for Canadian citizenship if you choose. You will need to able to speak English or French and pass a language test. You will also need to pass an interview with a citizenship judge.

Question: How do I become a Canadian citizen?

  • Be over the age of 18
  • Have permanent residency in Canada (PR)
  • Have lived in Canada for at least three years
  • Be able to pass the English or French test
  • Know about the proud history of Canada

Question: What is a skilled worker in Canada?

A skilled worker has the skills, education, work experience, language ability, and other qualities needed in the Canadian market. An application for PR status as a skilled worker is based off a points system. A successful applicant must achieve a minimum of 67 out of 100 points, as well as other requirements.

Question: Am I allowed to work temporarily in Canada?

If you do not have PR and you are not a Canadian Citizen, you will need to obtain a document called an employment authorization form. Your employer will need to contact a canada employment centre and provide details about the job. Your employer will also need to show that they tried to hire a Canadian, but were unsuccessful. They will need to show proof of advertising the job to Canadians.

Question: Can I come to Canada as a visitor?

Canada welcomes most visitors and makes entering the country relatively simple. Visitors are those who enter Canada for a temporary purpose  and do not intend to remain or become a permanent resident. Some of the requirements to enter Canada will depend on the citizenship of the visitors. Citizens of the USA, Mexico, most countries in Western Europe and a small list of other countries do not require visas, while visitors from most other countries do require visas. If you need help with your visa, please contact our friends as Visa Place.

Question: How does NAFTA affect doing business in Canada?

The North American Free Trade Act has made it faster and easier for many business people to gain temporary entry to Canada for business purposes. There are significant changes expected under NAFTA in the near future. For up to date information on NAFTA, please contact an immigration lawyer.

Question: What do I need to apply for Canadian citizenship?

  • Must have your Permanent Resident card (it’s okay if it’s expired)
  • You cannot be under investigation for fraud
  • You cannot be under investigation for immigration issues

Question: How long did I need to be in Canada before applying for Canadian citizenship?

You can start counting the days you have been in Canada after you get your PR card.

  • 1,460 days during the six years right before the date you sign your application (must be physically present in Canada)
  • 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years right before the date you apply

To make sure you qualify and stay up to date with changing immigration laws, call us.

Question: Do I have to be able to speak English to become a Canadian citizen?

No. But you must be able to speak English or French. These are the official languages of Canada. You must be able to do the following:

  • You need to speak about common topics (the weather, where you go to school, where you are from)
  • Be able to understand questions, directions, and tasks given to you in English or French.
  • Use grammar and past, present, and future tenses
  • Understand enough words and phrases to answer questions, ask questions and express what you mean.

Need a Vancouver Immigration lawyer?

If you have more questions about immigration, please contact us here.

@Copyright 2016, HARTLegal | Disclaimer | HART Legal, A Professional Law Corporation as another name, in addition to Darren Hart Law Corporation.