Getting divorced is a serious decision to make, just like getting married. You need to make sure you are making the right decision for you and your family.
Just about 50% of all marriages in Canada, end in divorce! Shocking, but not surprising. Here are the Top 5 reasons for getting divorced:
- Infidelity / Cheating: Nowadays, you can easily find your next lover by using any number of dating apps. Tinder, Coffee Meets Bagels, or the exclusive "The League" are just a few mobile applications that help you find a partner (or a fling) anywhere in the world! 20 years ago, when you married your beau, you didn't have billions of other people, at your fingertips, waiting to be messaged. Cheating on your partner is serious, and can easily result in a divorce or separation. Unfortunately, we see this happen far too often. If you suspect your spouse of cheating, don't rush to conclusions. Talk to a family law lawyer about your options BEFORE you let your
spouse know that you suspect them of cheating.
- Money: Money is a sensitive topic in a marriage, and is often the root cause for divorce. What happens when your spouse is overspending, or isn't involving you in the financial decisions for your family? Well, maybe you don't want to be involved, which is fine, but don't be ignorant when it comes to your finances! Check your finances every once in a while to ensure that everything is where it should be, and nothing hasn't changed! Our family law lawyers are great at tracing financial transactions, just in case monies get moved around, before you find out. Be sure to speak to a family law lawyer in Vancouver or to a family law lawyer in Calgary, how to get a financial restraining order in place.
- Abuse / Violence: Domestic abuse is a serious reason for divorce. If there are ANY signs of abuse towards you, your children, or another family member, be sure you seek legal advice ASAP. If your spouse has abused any minors, that is a serious offence and the Ministry may have to get involved if you do not do something about the abuse. Family law lawyers must screen for family violence during your consultation. Be sure to be open and honest about any abuse or violence that has occurred. It's our job to ensure that you and your family is protected, and there are ways we can help you with ensuring you remain safe.
- Falling Out of Love: This happens to a lot of family law clients. Falling out of love with your spouse is not uncommon, and can naturally occur, even without knowing it. If you are feeling this way, chances are your spouse is as well. The chances of you both communicating and admitting it to each other, is very slim. Maybe marriage isn't supposed to be forever, and maybe you are not supposed to be with the same person your whole life...
- Compatibility: When that honeymoon stage is over in your marriage, you really start to notice just how compatible you and your spouse are. When you start to feel like you aren't on the same page, or even sometimes the same book, things can become difficult. They say opposites attract, but for how long? If you start to notice that you are lacking common interests with your spouse, or if you aren't seeing eye-to-eye on certain life goals, then maybe there is a compatibility issue. This doesn't mean that you don't love your spouse, but maybe you need to have that talk to ensure you both are on the same page when it comes to common interests and moving your relationship forward.
These are the top 5 reasons for divorce in Canada. Our family law lawyers in Vancouver and Calgary, meet with clients everyday going through at LEAST one of the above. You are better off getting legal advice BEFORE you speak to your spouse about a potential breakdown in your marriage. If you are being abused or your children are being abused, call the police, then call a family law lawyer to have a court order established.
We offer family law legal services in Victoria, BC, Vancouver, BC, as well as, Calgary, Alberta. We are also able to offer our family law services throughout British Columbia and Alberta, with the initial consultation being done by phone. You can text us at, 778-760-1717(BC) 587-410-7443(AB) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, to schedule your free family law consultation with one of our best family law lawyers.